In the car the other day, Jameson and I played a fun game – summing up our almost three years of marriage in music albums. We tend to play a whole album repeatedly throughout specific seasons, which makes it easy to create a nice chronological record of musical memories.
- Summer 2009 – Fleet Foxes, Self-titled album – Marriage and move out to Denver, Thunder Storms
- Fall 2009 – The Black Keys, Brothers – New apartment, New city, New Friends
- Winter 2009 – Fruit Bats, Mouthfuls – First snow storms and big move to little house
- Spring 2010 – Dirty Projectors, Bitte Orca – Endless sun, New bikes, Rides around the park, Picnics
- Summer 2010 – Vampire Weekend, Contra – Summer in the city, Late night walks, Kitchen dance parties
- Winter 2010 – The Avett Brothers, I And Love And You – Long drives into the mountains, Winter boots, Electric Blankets
- Spring/Summer 2011 – Fleet Foxes, Helplessness Blues – Packing up home, Moving to Seattle
- Fall/Winter 2011 – Bon Iver, Self-titled album – Settling in Seattle, Working hard, Time with Family
- Spring – 2012 Damien Jurado, Maraqopa – Adoring the Pacific Northwest, Meeting friends, Growing closer to each other
This exercise left me feeling very thankful and nostalgic. Kind of a strange way to look at time, but whenever I put one of these albums on, my heart is flooded with specific memories, emotions, locations, foods, and faces.
What albums have left an impression on you?
(Image – self-portrait 2007, and flowers photos from our honeymooning at Butchart Gardens)